The homes we built decades ago are not the same as the homes we want to live in the decades ahead – your dream home needs to be future proofed, and sustainability is much more than just a buzz word. The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) has a vision for healthier, resilient, and positive places for people to live. The GBCA are currently developing a Standard for future homes that defines the performance and features of quality new homes in Australia, and at Icon Homes we are ahead of the game on this one with NSW first Net Zero Display Home located in Warriewood on Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
Their vision for Future Homes is-
- Cost effective: A well designed and constructed home can reduce power bills, water bills, and maintenance costs. Energy efficient homes with solar panels can save households $900 per year.
- Healthy: Australians spend 90% of their time indoors! Fresh air, comfortable temperatures, low-toxic materials and abundant daylight are all factors proven to improve the health and wellbeing of residents.
- Future Ready The homes we build today will be part of our cities and communities for at least the next fifty years. We need to build homes to accommodate our changing needs, and adapt to our changing climate. By 5050 there will be double the number of older people and 44% more children!
- Connected: Access to nature, community services, transport and digital infrastructure are essential to our health and productivity. According to research, access to a park can reduce stress, increase physical activity and even extend people’s life spans.
- Verified: Homebuyers will want sustainability information on the home they are buying. On-site verification such as physical inspections, air-pressure testing or thermal imaging are the most reliable way to check the quality and performance of a future home. This trend demonstrated by a 10% price premium recorded in the ACT for 7* NaTHERS rated homes 2018.
Find out more about NSW’s first Net Zero Display Home, The Avora 34 at Warriewood. Currently open for private inspection by appointment.